The operator of an online casino may be a legal entity. Its office should be in the Czech Republic (or a state member of the EU or is a party to the SES Agreement). External website owners must be registered in the Czech Republic and pay taxes.
Online casinos in the Czech Republic
Online gambling in the Czech Republic has been legal since 2017. Regulator — Zákon č. 186/2016 Sb. (ZHH). Ministry of Finance of the Czech Republic is committed to protecting players. The Register of Excluded Individuals (RVO) currently prepared.
Czech online casino legislation
Online casino license
Permission of the Ministry of Finance of the Czech Republic
Zákon č. 186/2016 Sb. (ZHH)
The tax rate is:
From January 1, 2020, the government was supposed to increase tax rates in the Czech Republic. Live games and bingo — 30% of gross income, sports betting — 25%. But in Law No. 187/2016 Coll. «On Tax on Gambling» dated May 26, 2016, no changes were made.
Penalties for players
Penalties for illegal gambling
The owner of the website is responsible for any violation of applicable law.
For individuals up to:
For legal entities and individuals-entrepreneurs to:
Violators prohibited from gambling for a maximum of 2 years
The main language
Visa, Skrill, MasterCard, Maestro, PaysafeCard, Western Union
Server, online casino equipment must locate in the territory of a Member State of the EU or the EEA
Responsibilities of the regulatory authority in the Czech Republic
Ministry of Finance of the Czech Republic (Ministry) issues, changes or revokes a license.
His responsibilities include:
- Monitoring compliance with the current Czech ZHH.
- The study of gambling in the country.
- Issuing a mandate for professional assessment and certification of online casino servers.
- Maintaining a list of online operators illegal in the Czech Republic and the Register of Individuals Excluded from Gambling.
Information on legal regulations, lists of online casinos is on the Ministry's website.
Online gambling games for which you need to get a license in the Czech Republic:
- sports betting;
- live match (with a dealer or against each other).
The list includes online casino operators with a license from the Czech regulator.
If a resident of another country plays in an online casino in the Czech Republic, he acts as a resident of the Czech Republic.
To take part in the Czech online casino, you need to register. A player can have one account on the website of one operator.
- To register, you need:
- provide identification and contact information;
- choose the type of self-restrictive measures or reject their installation;
- enter information on the payment account or card for crediting winnings and withdrawing deposits.
The operator checks the identity and age of the player. He may ask for a copy of an identity card or other document proving that the participant is over 18 years old.
After 30 days, the account will activate. Before this, a temporary report created to be active for a maximum of 90 days.
Ministry measures to protect players
The operator is obliged to publish legible and accessible information for participants on the online casino website:
- Contacts of institutions involved in the prevention and treatment of problems associated with ludomania.
- Prohibition of participation in online casinos for persons under the age of 18.
- Warning that gambling may have negative consequences for those involved (addiction).
After entering the account, the operator obliged to offer participants to use self-restrictive measures.
The Ministry is preparing to launch the Register of Individuals Excluded from Participation in Gambling. Participants will be able to apply for inclusion in this list. Some individuals will be brought in there automatically (receiving benefits, with a dependency problem, banned from playing by court order).
For operators, the Ministry on April 7, 2020, launched the «RVO Playground» — this is the information system of the Register of individuals excluded from participation in gambling. Through the RVO platform, operators can carry out continuous remote verification of the identity and age of persons registering in online casinos in real-time.
Technical support and contacts for addicted players in the Czech Republic
For bingo and live games: maximum spending for one day, one month, and the number of visits per month.
For bets: maximum spending for one day, one calendar month, and maximum rate for one day, one calendar month.
For live games:
- maximum spending for one day, one calendar month;
- the maximum rate for one day, one calendar month;
- number of visits for one calendar month;
- the period during which the player is not allowed to participate in the online casino after exiting the account.
In the Register are identification data, date of entry, and the reason why an individual included in this list.
The rating of legal gambling operators in the Czech Republic presented on the Ministry of Finance of the Czech Republic.
The list of illegal online casinos in the Czech Republic can view on the same site as of July 1, 2019. The list includes such Internet addresses: 1xbet.com, thelotter.com, webmoneycasino.com, betworld.com, bosscasino.eu, sportingbull.com, eatsleepbet.com, cz.sportingbull174.com, lottoevents.com.
According to the current law, the list of illegal Internet games should contain information: website address, unique identifier of the payment account, date of introduction, and deletion of previous data.