No. The Companies which are registered on the territory of the European Union and member states of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development must obtain a permit from the Latvian regulatory authority — Lotteries and Gambling Supervisory Inspection of Latvia.
Legal online casinos in Latvia
Online casinos in Latvia are regulated by the main legislative act «On Gambling and Lotteries». Inspectorate of the Ministry of Finance of Latvia provides licenses and supervision of online casinos, bookmaker's offices, bingo halls, slot machines online.
Players and organizers pay taxes in the republic. At the legislative level, there is support for gamblers and various programs for the treatment of ludomania have been launched.
Legislative rules for the operation of online casinos in Latvia
|Online Casino License||It is given to Lotteries and Gambling Supervisory Inspection of Latvia|
|Taxes for players||Income tax rate of 23% for profits exceeding 3 000 EUR |
31,4% — for winnings over 55 000 EUR
|Penalties for illegal gambling activities|| |
Amount of tax and 100% of the tax not paid to the state
Repeated violation — 250% of the missing amount
|Languages of online casino sites||French, English, German|
|Payment Systems||MasterCard, Neteller, Skrill, Visa, Paysafecard, PayPal|
Online casino in Latvia: regulation
The activities of online casinos in Latvia are regulated by legislation and additions, regulations, rules, and regulations which are issued by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic.
The basic laws regulating online casinos in Latvia:
|Legislative act||Regulatory sphere|
|Azartspēļu un izložu likums  (Law «On Gambling and Lotteries»). Adopted on 17.11.2005, in force since 01.01.2006.|| |
|Par izložu un azartspēļu nodevu un nodokli  («Lottery, Gambling and Tax Act»)|| |
|Par iedzīvotāju ienākuma nodokli  («Income Tax Act»)||It sets the number of tax rates from the income of the population, including - income received from participation in gambling entertainment|
Par nodokļiem un nodevām  («Taxes and Duties Act»)
|Regulates reporting rules and tax rates for organizers of online or land-based gambling houses|
The single regulatory body in Latvia is Izložu un azartspēļu uzraudzības inspekcijai (Lottery and Gambling Supervision Inspectorate).
Duties of the supervisory authority:
- Issuance of licenses for gambling business.
- Evaluation and registration of gambling equipment and software (tables, game terminals).
- Verification of the conformity reports on the equipment and software (from the international laboratories accredited in Latvia).
- Maintaining a register of visitors and providing information upon requests from law enforcement agencies.
- Review, evaluation, and approval of lottery plans and entertainment rules with betting on the money.
- Maintaining a database of licensed companies providing gambling entertainment services (location of gambling houses, equipment used).
- Inventory and statistical analysis of lotteries.
- Control of payment of license and tax fees.
- Development of regulations.
- «Control of players» registration.
Protecting the rights of Latvian online casino players
To protect the rights of players online resources place information:
- name, legal address, and license number;
- the list and rules of the games;
- a ban on participation in the game by persons under 18 years old;
- warning about the emergence of gambling addiction;
- technical support contacts and complaints handling procedures.
- It is prohibited to withdraw the won funds to the card with which the bet was not made.
You can download the list of blocked sites in Latvia  from the Inspection website.
Violations of player rights by an operator can be notified in:
|Legal Office of Inspection|| |
The director of the legal department:
Phone. +371 675 049 52
Address: Stabu iela 18, Rīga, LV-1011, Latvija, 2-nd floor
|Fill in the application form on the website of the Inspectorate||Section «Proposals and complaints »|
|E-mail to Inspection|| |
With the topic «Trauksmes cēlēja ziņojums» (Alarm report)
Psychological support for gamers and their families in Latvia
By Article 4 of the Law «On Gambling and Lotteries», a player has the right to apply for inclusion in the list of «self-excluded persons». (Pašatteikušos personu reģistrs ).
You can apply:
|By contacting the Inspectorate in person||On working days from 10:00 to 12:00 or from 14:00 to 16:00 at the address: |
Stabu iela 18, Riga, LV-1011, Latvija, 2nd floor
|Online||Having filled in an application on the website of the state administration portal Latvia.lv  (authentication required)|
|Any time||In all gambling institutions in Latvia|
The minimum prohibition period is 12 months. The rules for submitting, receiving, examining an application for inclusion or removal of persons from the list are regulated by the Regulation of the Cabinet of Ministers in Latvia No 333  of 16.07.2019. Regulation is mandatory for online casinos.
You can contact the psychological support service by phone:
- +371 27 528 705,
- +371 67 504 966.
Service email address: firstname.lastname@example.org . The support group gathers at 18 Stabu Street, Riga.
Gambling addiction treatment centers and clinics in Latvia:
Yes, they are. If the amount of winnings per month exceeds EUR 3,000, then the tax will be 23%. If the winnings per month exceed the amount of EUR 55,000, the tax rate will be 31.4%.
It is a list of players who personally asked the Inspectorate to exclude their access to online casinos in Latvia. The minimum validity period of the restriction is 1 year.